My first kidneyversary – one year on from transplant!

As my first ‘kidneyversary’ just flew past, I felt it was time to connect with you all again; to apologise for my radio silence; and, most importantly, to give you an update! To be frank, I am swamped with things I want to write in this kidneyversary post. I have decided to share the highs and lows of getting to know my new kidney over the past year – and will put the immediate transplant aftermath in the hospital, in a separate blog.

Firstly, I must introduce you to KP, my new kidney! I will not bore you here with the ‘method behind the naming madness’ but will be more than happy to share with you offline, if you ask.

I am delighted to announce that, as I type, I have that ever so slight feeling, of needing to run to the loo! This is a feeling I have come to know well and – even when the timing is most inconvenient – it is a feeling I relish. I am not surprised I feel that tell-tale pressure on my bladder again, as I have had 2.5 litres of tea (decaf of course) so far today. When people joke that ‘Scots drink a lot’ I had no idea this is what they meant!

On that note, I must prepare any potential transplant patients reading this… Assuming (fingers crossed for you) that all is going well post-op… expect, firstly, to be running to the toilet like your life depends on it – which in a way, it does! Having gone through dialysis and being told you can’t have more than 500ml a day. It is rather a shock to the system, to come round from transplant, to be told that you should now drink upwards of 3 litres every single day. You do get used to it – but even the happiest transplant patient will feel like a balloon at first and be sick of the site of the toilet within a couple of days!

Since transplant, it has been quite a year for me. The recovery was not as instant as my impatient nature would have liked and I spent, what feels like, a very long time, certain that things would never be well again. Things were not back to normal, even though I did carry on with life as if they were. Every day was a struggle, as my body got used to the kidney, the drugs, its new state. However, looking back, things were ‘righting themselves’. Much like the ‘frog in the water’ I, paradoxically, failed to notice that the water was cooling down!

Post-transplant time is a time of hectic madness and worry – and I was not prepared for it. I had spent so much time worrying about the operation (which was actually the easy bit for me as the patient) – I had absolutely no concept of what would be required of me afterwards. The endless days spent sitting in the hospital, for the third blood test that week. The scans, the questions, the detail and the nervousness. Never really feeling confident that the kidney was still working – and never feeling like the kidney failure, dialysis or the transplant could ever be anything other than at the front of my mind. Those freezing January mornings, feeling sleepy, disorientated and seeing patients and staff who I would come to know so well over time seemed to go on for ever, but now seems like a distant memory. Am I complaining? Not a bit! The level of care I received at the hands of our NHS was incredible. Not once in a year have I ever felt alone, mistrustful, or uncared for. If there is even the slightest hint that all is not absolutely perfect, they were on it.

If anything, I would say that, as a patient, one is perhaps given too much information. I must admit to having stopped the nurse from going through, in great detail, all the terrible things I might go through now I have the new kidney. I wanted to keep things, very much, on a strictly ‘need to know’ basis. Complications may arise and, of course, I want to know what to look out for, but I really didn’t want to spend my precious gifted time, worrying instead of living.

This on-going looming potential threat of a million things that could go wrong was the most difficult thing to cope with post-transplant for me. I spent so much time worrying about what would happen if the kidney didn’t work; how many viruses I would now catch; or tirelessly fretting over the latest horror story I had heard about the immune suppressant drugs. The truth is, maybe I am one of the extremely lucky ones, because all I have to report is positive. I have no side-affects from the drugs what-so-ever and the kidney is working well (knock wood!)

Life is certainly different from how it was in many ways; I am healthier; I need to remember to take the ‘kidney pills’; and I absolutely must drink more than anybody can believe! I always have KP at the back of my mind, but this is no bad thing. I am due my 3-monthly check-up tomorrow, which always makes me nervous, but I will go in with my fingers crossed and my bladder full!

I write this as a brand new being – and feeling like the luckiest person in the world. I have not thrown up in over a year. I have had no headaches, no sickness, no sleeping during the day – none of it. I can barely recognise myself. I can go to work, then the gym, followed by drinks and return home late – and I feel as normal as anybody else would. I can’t describe how incredible this feels, to be able to say I feel ‘normal’ when, in truth, looking back, I had no idea what normal was. To even feel an interest for things again, things that I had lost. The desire to go for a walk, or to the theatre, to listen to music, or watch a film. All of those little, every-day events were rather eclipsed by the kidney failure for the longest time. I now feel like I am living, rather than just surviving. I had the best December 2017 I could have wished for, because I was able to fall in love with Christmas all over again. I could go to the carol services, the Christmas parties – join in the fun and do all the things that made me feel Christmassy – something that was snatched from me for years by kidney failure.

As my transplant happened just before Christmas, I can recall, rather bizarrely, a wonderful troop of carol singers, regaling the ward with Jingle Bells, over and over and over again – because that was the only tune they had rehearsed at the time. I was not sure how I would feel upon hearing it this Christmas past! Fortunately, it reminded me of the best Christmas gift I could have ever wished for – one which can never be topped!


Published by


Thanks so much for reading. I never know what to write in these things. I am 30, Scottish, living in London and going through a rollercoaster time of sudden kidney failure, dialysis - and hopefully a transplant some day. I set up this blog to share experiences of all things kidney. I hope this blog will continue to have a glimmer of positivity through the darker moments and that such positivity can help others too. It has helped me so much to write this blog and I thank you immensely for taking the time to read it. . Please join me on Twitter:

2 thoughts on “My first kidneyversary – one year on from transplant!”

  1. Wonderfully written.
    It’s like living my early part of my journey all over again and it kicked me right back to 10 years ago
    Thank you for sharing this with us

    Alison x

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s